Workers Quick Links
Making a Claim for Occupational Disease


When would I make a claim as a result of occupational disease?

If you have been diagnosed with a condition, illness, or disease that you or your doctor believes is caused by exposure to a health hazard at work, you would make a claim for benefits to the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (the Commission).

How do I make a claim?

You start the claim process by completing a form Worker’s Report of Occupational Disease (6-S).

By completing and signing this form, you are authorizing the Commission to obtain all information necessary to review your claim.

It is important to provide as much detail as possible when completing this form:

  • Medical Information
    • Diagnosis or medical condition for which you are making the claim
    • Names, dates, and locations of doctors seen or medical tests completed 
  • Work Exposure Information
    • Employer’s name(s), address(es), contact information, and dates of  employment
    • Type of work performed and description of duties
    • Hazardous substances to which you believe you were exposed

What happens when the Commission receives my claim?

When your claim is received, you will be given a claim number and your claim will be assigned to an Adjudicator. The Adjudicator will:

  • review your application, gather the required information, and request any relevant information not provided with your form 6-S
  • contact you, or your authorized representative, to discuss your claim and provide you with their contact information
  • make an entitlement decision on your claim
  • advise you or your authorized representative of the decision, including a detailed written explanation of the decision and the option to appeal, if you are dissatisfied with the decision

How long will it take to receive a decision on my claim?

The time it takes to determine whether or not your claim is accepted depends on many circumstances such as: the nature of the medical condition; the amount of information available; how long it takes to gather and confirm your workplace exposure information; and obtain all relevant medical information.   

If my claim is accepted, what benefits may I receive? 

If your claim is accepted, entitlement to benefits such as health care or wage loss benefits will be determined by your Adjudicator. This will depend on the circumstances of your case and applicable policy and legislation. You can discuss your entitlement with your Adjudicator. See the Injured Workers’ Handbook for additional information regarding the Commission’s benefits and services. 

Who can I call for more information?

You can contact your Adjudicator with any questions or contact the Commission’s General Inquiries Line at 709-778-1000 or toll-free (within the province) 1-800-563-9000.  An Information Officer will answer your questions or direct you to the appropriate person.