The Back Strong, Back Fishing initiative is developed for seasonally employed fish harvesters and processors to help prevent back injuries. Fish harvesters and many processors work on a seasonal basis in a physically demanding job. The purpose of the initiative is to educate seasonal fish harvesters and processors about maintaining a healthy back throughout the year with the goal of reducing back injuries.
The Healthy Backs for Fishers and Processors pamphlet:
- Promotes the importance of maintaining a strong back (on and off season);
- Provides helpful tips on how to maintain a safe work environment;
- Offers tips to create a healthy lifestyle;
- Provides a home exercise program that can be completed without specialized equipment; and
- Demonstrates proper lifting techniques.
The Back Strong, Back Fishing initiative was launched in the Burin Peninsula area the week of April 22, 2013, just prior to NAOSH week. WorkplaceNL employees collaborated with health care providers in the Burin Peninsula area in the development of this important project. The ultimate goal is to promote healthy living of fish harvesters and processors with the aim of back injury prevention.