Workers Quick Links
Submitting a Recurrence


If you recover and/or return to work, and your initial injury causes further disability, you may reapply for benefits with WorkplaceNL.  To file a recurrence, please do the following: 

  • Report the recurrence to your employer immediately. Tell your employer what happened, where it happened and the names of any witnesses.
  • Visit your doctor and inform him/her of your recurrence. Your doctor will complete physician’s report MD and provide you with copies of this report.  Ensure that you bring a copy of this report to your employer as your employer is responsible to complete an injury report - employer's (7) - revised.
  • You are required to fully complete and sign an injury report - worker's (6) - revised.  You may complete this form yourself or have a spouse, relative or friend help you. Please ensure the report is signed by you.
  • Please note: WorkplaceNL no longer uses the form 6R or 7R to report recurrences (July 2008).

All workplace injuries, including recurrences of previous workplace injuries, will be registered using the revised form 6 and form 7.

Once we receive your injury employer's report (7), injury worker's report (6), and the physician’s report MD, your claim will be reviewed to determine if you qualify for compensation. 

If your claim is accepted, you will receive written notification outlining any entitlement you may have to compensation benefits (wage-loss benefits) and other general information. Your claim number will be the same as the one provided with your original claim which is your personal number. 

If your claim is denied, you will receive written notification giving reasons for denial and outlining your right to appeal (request for internal review form).

If you prefer, WorkplaceNL can discuss your claim with your spouse, a family member, or other representative such as a friend, lawyer, MHA or union representative. To ensure confidentiality, you will need to complete an authorized representative consent form (13) . This form will identify the individual(s) that you authorize to speak to WorkplaceNL on your behalf.  You may change your authorized representative at any time by submitting a Form 13 to WorkplaceNL which identifies your current authorized representative.

For more information on submitting a claim see the Injured Workers handbook in the related documents section.