Quick Links
Submitting a New Claim


If you have been involved in a workplace injury, you can submit a claim to WorkplaceNL by completing the following steps:

  • Report the work-related injury to your employer immediately and before you leave the worksite. Be sure to tell your employer what happened, where it happened and the names of any witnesses.
  • Visit your health care provider and inform him/her that your injury is work related. You can visit a physician, a physiotherapist or a chiropractor. Your chosen health care provider will then complete either a physician’s report (MD) , a physiotherapy report PR, or a chiropractor’s report (8/10c) and provide you with a copy.
  • Bring a copy of this report to your employer so that they can complete an  injury report - employer's (7);
  • Complete and sign your injury report - worker's (6). A spouse, relative or friend can help you complete the form but you must sign the report.
  • Submit all forms and relevant information to WorkplaceNL.

When we receive your claim, it will be reviewed by an intake adjudicator to determine if you qualify for compensation. 

If your claim is accepted, you will receive written notification outlining your claim number, entitlement to compensation benefits (wage-loss benefits) and other general information.

If your claim is denied, you will receive written notification giving reasons for denial and outlining your right to appeal. You may ask for a review by submitting a request for Internal review form.

If you prefer, we can discuss your claim with your spouse, a family member, or other representative such as a friend, lawyer, MHA or union representative.  To ensure confidentiality, you will need to complete an authorized representative consent form (13).  This form will identify the individual(s) that you authorize to speak to WorkplaceNL on your behalf.  You may change your authorized representative at any time by submitting a Form 13 to WorkplaceNL which identifies your current authorized representative. 

For more information on submitting a claim see the Injured Workers' handbook under related documents.